Saturday, August 9, 2008

Polk sees himself at running back

One of the most exciting developments out of camp so far has been the decision to move highly-touted freshman Chris Polk to running back. This spring, the former USC recruit played slotback/WR.

However, Polk was rated the fourth best running back in the country by Rivals last year, and considering the wide array of freshman recievers on campus and the lack of depth in the backfield (where Brandon Johnson is the only returning tailback to have carried the ball in game action)this may have seemed like a no-brainer to those who follow the program. That being said, it still is encouraging that the coaching staff was quick to make the change.

GoHuskies sat down with Polk yesterday, and he admitted that he is more comfortable in the backfield:

I see myself better at running back because I've only played receiver for two years my whole life. I'm more comfortable at running back, but I also see myself helping at wide receiver, too, because of the way I run after the catch.


As camp progresses, it will be interesting to see if Polk overtakes Johnson on the depth chart, as Ty has said that Johnson has struggled to overcome the effects of the knee surgery he had earlier this spring.

No comments: